The driving ability test is the second of three parts you will need to pass before you can register as an Approved Driving Instructor (ADI), and you must have already passed Part One in order to take your Part Two.
The Part 2: Driving Instructor Driving Ability test is designed to assess your safety and competence behind the wheel and is made up of three stages:
- An eyesight test (in which you must be able to correctly read a number plate at a distance of 26.5 meters for a new-style plate and 27.5 meters for an old-style plate).
- 5 ‘show me, tell me’ vehicle safety questions – 3 ‘show me’ questions, demonstrating vehicle checks and 2 ‘tell me’ questions, explaining how checks would be made.
- A practical driving period of around 40 minutes, in which you will have to demonstrate;
- skilled and eco-safe driving in varying road and traffic conditions, including dual carriageways / motorways where possible
- a variety of manoeuvres
- a period of independent driving for approximately 10 minutes, in which you will have to follow traffic signs, a series of directions or a combination of both without prompting from the examiner.
You know how to drive already, and we have an incredible success rate at honing and refining your skills and technique behind the wheel. As such, our Part 2 training course is often completed within 10 hrs of in-car tuition.
This is most commonly taken as part of a full instructor training course, but can also be taken as a set price Part 2 training course, or even as individual pay-as-you-train two-hour sessions that will be chargeable at an hourly rate.
During the training we will cover the entire spectrum of driving across all road types (as appropriate to the area) from rural to motorway driving, trying to encounter a variety of different traffic levels. We will also go over all relevant manoeuvres to ensure you are completing them competently and confidently. Your complete driving will be brought up to the highest standards, as well as being taught the latest eco-safe driving techniques you will need to cascade to your learners.
For more information on the Driving Instructor Part Two: Driving module, visit the
and when you are ready use the official
DVSA online Part Two: Driving Ability test booking portal
to book your test.