Legal requirements

The following section is on some of the legal requirements you must adhere to as a self-employed Driving Instructor.


Her Majesties Revenue and Customs (HMRC)

The newly self-employed MUST register as self-employed within three months of commencing otherwise penalties will be charged.


Call HMRC on 0845 915 4515

Or on-line at;


Tax Credits

If you were or think you may need to claim tax credits you must notify the tax credits department.

Call HMRC Tax Credits office on 0845 300 3900

Or online at;



It is illegal to smoke in a vehicle that is used for driving tuition[1] even if there is not a pupil in the vehicle or you are using the vehicle on a family holiday. It also affects the resale value of your vehicle as well. You may not realise how much the smell of stale smoke lingers in the vehicle. There is a move at the moment to ban smoking at the wheel of any vehicle by any driver.

You must also display a no smoking sticker in your vehicle by law. The examiner will look for it on tests.

[1] The new smoke-free law will require company vehicles to be smoke free at all times if they are used: to transport members of the public or in the course of paid or voluntary work by more than one person – regardless of whether they are in the vehicle at the same time.